Skip to content High contrast mode

Foreign candidates can apply for admission to studies at University of Social Sciences and to programs conducted in co-operation with Clark University if they hold the following educational documents:

  • FOR BACHELOR PROGRAMS - maturity certificate, International Baccalaureate diploma, European Baccalaureate diploma or other equivalent certyfing secondary school graduation;
  • FOR MASTER PROGRAMS - Bachelor, Master or Engineer’s diploma or equivalent.

If the document certifying the candidate’s education does not include information about the course of studies, the following documents issued or confirmed by the school or educational institution which issued the diploma must be submitted: 

  1. list of grades obtained at the final exam decisive for the completion of the education process in a given school or required for the completion of the given stage of education; 
  2. list of subjects and courses undertaken as part of the education with the grades obtained; 
  3. information regarding the curriculum, the subjects-courses included, the required schedule and scale of grades; 
  4. information regarding the obtained qualifications entitling to continuation of education at a given level in the country where the certificate was issued, including the rights to continue education and the scope of such rights.

The certificate/diploma should also include information about giving a candidate the right to study in higher education institutions in the country where it was issued. 
Such proof should be issued or certified by the school or educational institution which issued the certificate or diploma. Also, Polish Consulates or the Ministry of Education of the given country can give confirmation that your certificate/diploma entitles you to undertake or continue university-level studies in your country.

Candidates who hold a certificate or a university-degree diploma issued outside of Poland must have their documents:

  • legalized (authorised)
  • recognized in Poland
  • translated into Polish

NOTICE: International Baccalaureate (IB) and European Baccalaureate (EB) do not need to be legalized or additionally recognized (nostrified), but they must be translated into Polish.

Legalization or apostille are necessary for the application process as they are an official confirmation that all signatures, seals or stamps on your educational document are genuine. Without this autorization your educational documents are not valid in Poland. Non-legalized documents will not be accepted by Univeristy of Social Sciences. The legalization is done by the Polish Ambassador or Consul at the Polish diplomatic missions in the candidate's country or it can be done by the Ministry of Education in a given country.

Legalization (authorisation) is the certification of a document’s formal conformity with the law binding in the place of its issuance or of the authenticity of the seals and signatures placed on the document. The certificate or other educational documents' legalization remains the responsibility of the Polish consul or educational authorities in the country where the certificate/document was issued or in the country in whose educational system the school which has issued this document operates.

If a country in which a given document was issued is a party to the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, concluded in The Hague, 5 October 1961, the document’s legalisation is replaced by an Apostille certificate attached to it. The list of countries – parties to the Convention and the institutions authorised to issue the Apostille is available here.

1. For first-cycle programs (BA studies) and long-cycle programs
A maturity certificate issued outside of Poland is recognized in Poland:

  • By virtue of law (Article 93(1) of the Polish Act on the Education System)
    • Maturity certificates issued by schools or education institutions operating within the education framework of a member state of the European Union, member state of Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), member state of European Free Trade Association (EFTA)—a party to the Agreement on European Economic Area, entitling its holder to apply for university admission in those countries. This concerns the maturity certificates issued in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Spain, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Latvia, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey, the USA, Hungary, the United Kingdom, Italy;
    • International Baccalaureate diplomas issued by International Baccalaureate Organization in Geneva;
    • European Baccalaureate certificates issued by European Schools in accordance with the Convention defining the Statute of the European Schools signed in Luxemburg on 21 June 1994 (the Journal of Laws of 2001, No 3, item 10);
    • Certificates recognized on the basis of international agreement signed by Poland with other countries. More information about those agreements are available on the Ministry of Science and Higher Education website.
  • Through the process of nostrification of diplomas (read below).

NOTE: A person that holds the maturity certificate recognized in Poland by virtue of law has the same rights to undertake higher studies as in the country where their certificate was issued. This means that the certificate that makes one entitled to undertake higher studies only in selected majors in a given country, gives the right to apply only for acceptance to similar majors in Poland (Article 93 (4)).

2. For second-cycle programs (MA studies), postgraduate studies, third-cycle programs

  • If the diploma entitles its holder to undertake study programs (second-cycle or third-cycle programs) or embark on a doctorate in its country of issue, it also entitles its holder to undertake the same study programs in Poland. The legal basis then for recognizing the diploma is Article 191a (3-4) of the Polish Law of July 27 2005 – The Act on Higher Education (The Journal of Laws, No 164, item 1365 with further amendments); 
  • A diploma issued outside of Poland may entitle to further education in Poland also on the basis of international agreement;
  • If the diploma that a candidate has obtained does not give them the right in the country it was issued in to pursue studies on the level equivalent to the level the candidate wishes to pursue studies in Poland, then they have to go through the nostrification process, in accordance with the Minister of Science and Higher Education's regulation of September 1, 2011 on nostrification of higher education diplomas issued outside of Poland.

Nostrification is the procedure granting recognition to a degree from a foreign university. In Poland the competent authorities responsible for nostrification include:

  • with respect to nostrification of school certificates and maturity certificates – regional educational authorities appropriate for the residence of a person applying for nostrification and in the case of lack thereof, appropriate for an institution that will receive the candidate’s certificate.
  • with respect to nostrification of higher education diplomas – the board of an organizational unit of a higher education institution which is entitled to award a PhD degree in a given field and which educates in the field of higher studies the completion of which is confirmed by the diploma obtained abroad.

NOTE: If the school certificate (maturity certificate), higher education diploma or any other document obtained abroad has been recognized through the process of nostrification, the candidate is obliged to submit a certificate confirming its equivalence to the Polish maturity certificate/higher education diploma within a time limit of no later than the end of the first semester. In the event of failure to comply with this requirement, the student will be removed from the students’ list.

Every document that has been issued in a language other than Polish needs to be translated into Polish. The translation should be certified (in Poland this means it is prepared and certified by a sworn translator).

The translation should be done by a sworn translator included in the list of the Ministry of Justice in Poland, or abroad by special units designated by the Polish Consulate. If the latter takes place, the translation must undergo a legalization procedure done in a Polish diplomatic mission.